The Vice President Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia in a ceremony at the St. Mary’s Senior High School on Friday, September 3, 2021 successfully launched the ‘One Teacher One Laptop’ project.
Dr. Bawumia also handed over 350,000 laptops during the launch of the project in fulfillment of government’s pledge to equip Ghana’s teachers with the requisite ICT skills.
Dr. Bawumia further indicated that teachers will bear 30 per cent of the cost of the laptop while government absorbs the remaining 70 per cent.
“Globally, we know that the world is entering the era of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, which is highly dependent on information technology. Today, we know that the amount of knowledge and resources for the purposes of teaching that are available on the internet is just phenomenal and therefore, one of the best ways to equip our teachers, is to make those resources and knowledge available to them as well”.
“Ghana cannot be left out and today’s event further attests to the government’s commitment to the cause of education. Under the ‘One Teacher One Laptop’ programme, each teacher at every level of education from kindergarten to Senior High School, will receive a laptop”, he said.
The Education Minister, Dr Yaw Osei Adutwum who was also present at the launch said the provision of laptops for teachers, forms part of government’s digitalisation agenda.
“Teachers are going to get the opportunity to begin to practice what we have been preaching about for a long time. A teacher who is equipped with the requisite ICT tools to embark on teaching duties in the 21st century perspective”.