Fire has claimed 3 lives and destroyed three (3) bedrooms at Abuakwa Nsonyameye in Kumasi.
The fire which destroyed roofing sheets, doors, utensils, furniture, household appliances and personal effects was caused by an unattended lit mosquito coil which came into close contact with room combustibles.
According to the public relations officer of the Ashanti Regional Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), a mother aged 28 years, and her two daughters, with ages 6 and 9 years perished in the fire. “Fortunately, two other tenants in the affected house managed to escape unhurt from the ruinous fire”
Late call up
The service says a “late call-up to the GNFS for help, as a result of late detection of fire and wrong address provided to the fire scene and poor road network led to the destruction of three bedroom and their contents. The deceased got trapped in their room, suffocated by the heavy smoke and burnt to death by the fire”
The ferocious fire is said to have started around 2 o’clock and a call got to the fire service at 3:43. The firefighting crew got to the fire scene at 4:19 to finally contain the well advanced blaze at 4:53 which caused the roof of the affected building to cave in.
“The charred bodies of the 3 persons were conveyed to the morgue by the Police”