Member of Parliament for Sekondi Constituency Andrew Egyapa Mercer has disclosed that delegates of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) will give Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia their unflinching support by voting massively for him on Saturday to represent the party as a presidential candidate in the 2024 election.
In an exclusive interview with Wofa Ato, the sit-in-host of Connect FM’s Omanbapa morning show, the Deputy Energy Minister stated that Dr. Bawumia will undoubtedly receive 90% of the votes, while Kennedy Agyapong and the other aspirants will share the remaining 10%.
He indicates that Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia is the only refined candidate among the aspirants, and he is on a good scale in managing the affairs of the country to turn the fortunes of Ghana; thus, presenting any other candidate would spell doom for the NPP in the 2024 polls.
“It is an endorsement for Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia,” he reiterated.
“We are going to endorse him; he will secure 90 percent of the votes, and the rest will share the remaining 10 percent. I’m expecting delegates to give the vice president an overwhelming victory.
“We have spoken to the delegates, and we expect them to elect someone who has the capacity to lead the party, and that person is the vice president, Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia,” he stressed.
Reacting to the presence of Mr. Agyapong in the supposed fierce race, lawyer Egyapa Mercer revealed that he is not the best person to lead the party to break the 8-year jinx of the 2024 election.
“We are not shaken by the presence of Kennedy Agyapong. We have equally seen the huge crowd of delegates following the vice president. Kennedy Agyapong is my main man, but I don’t think he is the right person to lead the party in 2024.
He added, “We cannot say that there are no challenges in the country, but the best person to manage these challenges properly cannot be Kennedy Agyapong. I do not have any doubt in my mind that Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia can best manage the affairs of the country and win the 2024 election for the NPP”.
By Lawrence Odoom