President Akufo-Addo has appointed three more justices to the country’s apex court. The nominated justices, including Justice Henry Anthony Kwofie, Justice Yaw Asare Darko,and Justice Richard Agyei Frimpong, justice of appeals court, have all been promoted to Justices of the Supreme Court of Ghana.
The newly nominated justices are expected to fill the vacuum left by the Supreme Court justices who are going on retirement.
In a communiqué presented to parliament and read by first deputy speaker Joseph Osei-Owusu, President Akufo-Addo reiterated that the nominations are in accordance with the dictates of the Constitution of Ghana.
The Bekwai MP subsequently referred the nominees to the committee where he serves as chairman, the Appointment Committee, for vetting.
Below are the current 12 justices at the Supreme Court.
1. Her Ladyship Justice Gertrude Araba Esaaba Sackey Torkornoo, Chief Justice
2. His Lordship Justice Paul Baffoe Bonnie
3. His Lordship Justice Gabriel Pwamang
4. Her Ladyship, Justice Mariama Owusu
5. Her Ladyship Justice, Avril Lovelace Johnson
6. His Lordship Justice Issifu Omoro Tanko Amadu
7. Her Ladyship Justice, Prof. Henrietta Joy Abena Nyarko Mensa-Bonsu
8. His Lordship Justice, Emmanuel Yonny Kulendi
9. Her Ladyship Justice Barbara F. Ackah Yensu
10. His Lordship Justice Samuel Kwame Adibu-Asiedu
11. His Lordship Justice George Kingsley Koomson
12. His Lordship Justice Ernest Yao Gaewu