Kumasi-Adum market fire affected 2,900 traders – Ashanti Regional Minister

Eric Nana Prekoh
5 Min Read

A devastating fire that broke out in the Adum Central Business District on Friday, March 21, 2025, has left at least 2,900 people severely affected, according to Ashanti Regional Minister Dr. Frank Amoakohene.

The fire caused extensive damage to several buildings, containers, and makeshift structures, destroying shops and disrupting the livelihoods of many individuals in the busy area of the city.

- Advertisement -

The fire prompted an immediate response from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), who worked tirelessly to control and extinguish the flames.

The fire’s destruction was widespread, impacting hundreds of businesses and leaving a significant number of people without means of sustenance.

The affected individuals are now in urgent need of support as they struggle to rebuild their lives.

- Advertisement -

Dr. Amoakohene, in a statement released on Monday, March 31, 2025, noted that the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) reported that 1,300 of the 2,900 people affected by the fire are able to sustain themselves and meet their basic needs.

However, the remaining 1,500 individuals are unable to provide for themselves, thus requiring immediate assistance to meet their basic needs, such as food and shelter.

“We are making sure that the support coming in addresses the basic needs of those 1,500 individuals who do not have the capacity to support themselves,” Dr. Amoakohene said.

- Advertisement -

He assuresd the public that efforts are underway to provide the necessary relief to those most in need.

Psychological and Emotional Support

In addition to material support, the Ashanti Regional Minister emphasized the need for psychological assistance for those affected by the fire.

To this end, the office of the Ashanti Regional Minister has collaborated with Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) to provide psychological support to victims.
Dr. Amoakohene explained that individuals who require emotional and mental health care are being referred to KATH for professional assistance.

“We are liaising with the team from KATH, and they have been providing psychological support to victims.

Some have come to my office, and upon assessing their conditions, we realized they need support, and we are providing them with the help they need,” he stated.

The government’s commitment to helping those affected by the disaster is being supplemented by contributions from volunteers and individuals who have generously donated to assist the victims in rebuilding their lives.

Dr. Amoakohene encouraged the public to continue offering their support and keep faith that relief efforts would reach those in need.

Concerns Over New Lorry Station

In a related development, the Minister expressed concern over the emergence of a new lorry station under the footbridge near the site of the recent fire.

The development was discovered during an inspection of the area on Saturday, March 31, 2025, and raised alarms about potential future risks associated with overcrowding and encroachment.

The new lorry station, which had been established without the proper permits, was found to be housing around 207 vans.

Dr. Amoakohene immediately ordered the cessation of any activities related to the new station and directed law enforcement and NADMO to clear the area.
He emphasized that the area was not designated for such activities and posed a risk to the safety and wellbeing of the public.

“I was very concerned when I found out that there is a new station emerging right under the footbridge. I engaged the person responsible for the space, and I told him to halt any work being done there,” he said.

“I’ve instructed the police and NADMO to ensure that the 207 vans parked there are removed immediately. This space is not a station, and I want to know who issued that permit.”

Dr. Amoakohene vowed to take further action, stating that the government would not tolerate encroachments that could lead to another disaster like the fire in Adum.

He assured the public that if necessary, the individuals involved would be relocated, and the area would be cleared to prevent any further risks.


Do you have any information to give us, press releases or news to publish? Please send them to editor@awakenews24.com

Share This Article
Leave a Comment